Friday, May 19, 2006

"I Hate You and Your Fat-shit SUV" - Me

New photos on http://www.flickr.com/photos/sardonic/. This is an exiting week coming up - not just because I'm taking a small vacation (Woohoo!) but there are some good shows happpening. Let's talk about it!

First Unsane is playing at the Knitting Factory, Wednesday, May 24. This is the first night of my vacation! My favorite thing about this band is that they are extremely hard and from NYC. The New York scene has been soft for years, but Unsane almost makes up for it all by themselves. The most suprising thing that I learned about this band is that they formed nearly 20 years ago at SARAH LAWRENCE College! If you've ever met people from Sarah Lawrence, you know how IN-sane this is. These guys are no namby-pambies like those art school snobs. Just look at the cover of their first album! Blood is cool!

People ask me, "Don, you're old." Whatever. To answer your question - NO! I'll never stop acting like I'm fourteen years old. That's why I took the whole day off from my very adult and boring job to go see X-men III on opening day! Comic books turned movies are my favorite kind of movies. People also ask me, "This is why you don't have a girlfriend." Well, to answer your question, I don't have a girlfriend because I'm dull. (or so I've been told - this is true!)

The X-men are mutants; the result of an exponential leap in evolution in the near future of human kind. They have amazing and often destructive superpowers and, as a result, are feared, rejected, and persecuted by regular humans. Humans persecuting people for being different? What a crazy story!

On Tuesday, May 30th, Sunn 0))) is playing with Oren Ambarchi and Boris at Avalon. Like most things from Japan, Boris kicks ASS. They're raw like sushi and make me scream like too much wasabi! And when they play, giant robots will appear and fight each other and knock over buildings. Afterward, nothing will be left except happy little kittens. It's about time!!

Of course, next week is also Memorial Day weekend. And this year there's A LOT more dead soldiers to remember. So let's do that. Let's also think about how we can stop our soldiers from dying so I don't have to keep remembering, since my memory was never so good. Here's an idea from Jeffery D. Sachs, director of the Earth Institute at Columbia University...

"Americans have a perfect retort to Osama Bin Laden's call for expanding the terrorism war to Sudan. We should respond by showing our abiding concern for the plight of Africans by helping to save the millions of children who are at risk of death from disease. In honoring the sanctity of the lives of the least among us, we have the best chance to defeat the ideologies of hate." (NYT op-ed, 29 April '06)



Post a Comment
Powered by Blogger and Blogger Templates